Monday, February 28, 2011

Cover Letter for Resume

Below is a copy letter of my cover letter for Portfolio.  I wrote it as if it was required for admittance into medical school.  However, in reality, U.S. allopathic medical schools have a centralized web-based application.  Then there are usually supplemental applications for each specific medical school that one applies to.  Still, this exercise was worthwhile because it introduced me to the "dreaded" cover letter that my friends often speak of.


700 1st Ave. W.
Farley, IA 52046

2/14/2011

Dr. Quinn Capers IV, MD, Associate Dean for Admissions
The Ohio State College of Medicine
370 West 9th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210

Dear Dr. Capers:

I recently read in US News & World Report that there are still positions available in the Class of 2015 at The Ohio State College of Medicine.  After much thought and consideration, I am pleased to introduce myself as a candidate for one of the openings.
The enclosed resume details my achievements and activities during my undergraduate career.  Among the highlights:
·         I am a senior working towards a B.S. in biochemistry with a cumulative GPA of 3.985/4.0.
·         Previous experience working in a health care facility as a behavioral health technician.
·         Participation in the supplemental instruction program at Loras College to assist other undergraduate students in general chemistry.
This combination of academic achievement and experience working in the health sciences makes me an ideal candidate for a position in your medical school.  Also, my naturally concerned nature about the wellbeing of others will help build a sense of camaraderie among next fall’s first-year class.
I am extremely excited about the possibility of being a student in Columbus next fall, and I would like to talk to you further about my application.  In the event that you are available for an interview, my spring break extends from the 17th of April to the 20th of April.  I may be contacted anytime at (563) 599-7192.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Tyler J. Willman

Tyler J. Willman
Enclosure

No comments:

Post a Comment