Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Reaction to the First Week of Research


            It is somewhat difficult to believe that I have been doing research for over a year now.  I can still remember the first conversation with my research advisor, Dr. Cooper, vividly.  She asked me if I had ever thought about a career in research.  I quite coldly proclaimed that under no circumstances would I want to conduct research for a living.  Working in a lab was viewed by me at this time as little more than a requirement to graduate and something to put on my resume for medical school.  However, this opinion began to slowly change as I invested more time and effort into my project.  I became so passionate about conducting research that I even applied for an MD/PhD position at one of the medical schools I was accepted into.  Being enrolled in this course has only reinforced my desire to continue to conduct scientific research in the future.  Still, I cannot neglect my passion for working with patients in a clinical setting.
            The change in my feelings about working in a lab was not just the result of a revelation one day.  Rather, it came about after spending an increasing amount of time in the lab and conducting research in conjunction with taking an introductory biochemistry course.  Part of the reason I was frustrated with my first couple of months in the lab was because I did not really understand the theories behind the procedures.  As I took cell biology and biochemistry, things started to click, and I became able to anticipate future challenges and think critically about necessary changes in my work.  I would strongly encourage students who are just starting to perform research to stay positive even when things appear bleak.  The outlook will become progressively rosier as you begin to master specific protocols and procedures related to your field.  Even if you do not particularly enjoy research, at least you can say you gave it a valiant attempt.
            I can honestly say that this course has only increased my appreciation for a career in research.  One of the most pleasant parts is working in close proximity with other students who have similar projects.  Brainstorming and helping one another makes the day go very quickly and provides a sense of support.  Another thing I enjoy is that this is the only course we are currently taking.  In the past, I often ran into difficulties when trying to schedule research around my class schedule.  Now, I am capable of working at a pace that allows for accomplishing a great deal in one day.  An aspect that is somewhat of a pain is waiting to receive results and orders that have been sent off to outside companies/labs.  Trying to find projects to remain busy with that only take a short amount of time can be quite challenging.
            It has become rather clear through this research experience that I would like to perform clinical studies in the future.  I still find my work to be exciting, but this enthusiasm would likely start to wane after a while due to a lack of interaction with patients on a regular basis.  I remain convinced that I can be of the most benefit to society by working in a clinical setting as a physician.  Luckily, there are many great teaching hospitals that will enable me to combine my liking for research and clinical medicine. 
            I still find it amazing how far my appreciation for research has come.  This course has been a great introduction for the next step in a career in research.  I look forward to continuing research in the future because it will make me a better physician and allow me stay up-to-date in the advances in science.

4 comments:

  1. Ty,

    I like how you give advice to other students that are just beginning their work in the Lab. You described exactly how I felt prior to taking biochemistry and this J-term course. I would agree that the extended amout of time to work each day is critical. I would also agree that the support we give eachother is a critical part of the success of the lab as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ty,

    I am definately in the same position you were in when you started. I feel lost at times, while other times I feel like I should be doing more but can't due to the fact that I'm a greenhorn in the lab. Any other suggestions to better my early experiences? Also, any suggestions for someone like myself who also wants to do research while having to deal with school and work schedules? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey,

    I would suggest researching your topic as much as possible during "down" time. I know it can be a pain, but it will pay off in the long run. As far as doing research during the school year, I've found it helpful to conduct research in between classes and planning ahead so any incubation times occur while you are in class. It does make for some long days if you do plan to conduct research during the school year, but it is quite rewarding.

    Ty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second the 'planning ahead' suggestion. It's really about time management and being willing to come into the lab multiple times a day - but sometimes just for 15-30 min at a time. It's amazing how much you can get done in a semester without putting in hours at a stretch. However, there are a lot of nice benefits to full-time research, too. And yes, reading papers related to your topic during downtimes is a great way to learn more. Also, don't forget to ask your mentor lots of questions. That's what we get paid the big bucks for, you know.
    kc

    ReplyDelete